Vaginal discharge is a fluid produced by glands within the vagina and cervix. It keeps the vagina clean and helps prevent infections. It is normal the majority of the time. Natural variations in estrogen levels during ovulation, sexual stimulation, the use of birth control tablets, and pregnancy might cause an increase in the amount of discharge.
Type of Vaginal Discharge
The amount and type of vaginal discharge can indicate the health of the reproductive system. Here are some of the most common types,
- White milky or colorless discharge without odor is typically normal
- Yellowish discharge. This is also normal and usually caused by cervical mucus
- Whitish, like cottage cheese, can be a signal of fungal infection
- Light brown or pinkish discharge indicates inflammation or infection, which may be due to an STI bacterial vaginosis, trichinosis, or yeast infection
- Grayish discharge shows an STI, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. It has a foul smell and can cause itching around your vaginal area.
There are many reasons a woman may have vaginal discharge, the most common cause is bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is caused by an imbalance in the normal bacteria in the vagina.
Other causes include sexually transmitted infections (STIs), yeast infections, and other infections.
If you are experiencing vaginal discharge, you must see a gynecologist who will do a physical exam and ask questions about your medical history and symptoms. They may also perform some tests, such as pelvic exams and vaginal swabs.
Treatment for Vaginal Discharge
The treatment for vaginitis depends on what is causing the discharge. If the cause is BV, then the doctor will prescribe antibiotics. If it is a yeast infection, the doctor will prescribe medication to treat the disease and prevent further spread if possible. If you notice any abnormal changes in your discharge, experience any other symptoms that may indicate an infection, or want to know more about what might be causing it, schedule an appointment with our expert gynecologist at Burjeel Medical Center, Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi.