Dr. Aruna graduated from Osmania University in Hyderabad, India, with an MBBS and a Master’s degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology. She was a gold medalist and a rank holder. She worked at the Government Maternity Hospital, Hyderabad’s largest teaching maternity unit affiliated with Osmania Medical College. The hospital provides approximately 10,000 deliveries annually and accepts all complicated pregnancies from surrounding districts. She has worked as an Assistant Professor in the unit for several years. She has been actively involved in clinical work and teaching activities, acquiring advanced skills in managing high-risk pregnancies and various gynecologic surgical procedures. She later completed her training in the United Kingdom and was awarded the MRCOG by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in London. In 1992, she joined the Mafraq Hospital in Abu Dhabi. She was promoted to the Consultant level quickly in 1997 because of her diligence, efficiency, and dedication. She was promoted to chief of Services in 2004 and served in that capacity for several years. In 1990, the Obstetrics and Gynecology Unit at Mafraq Hospital was the referral center for all high-risk pregnancies in Abu Dhabi and the Western Region. Dr. Aruna has extensive experience managing high-risk pregnancies complicated by various medical disorders, including type 1 and type II diabetes, cardiac disease complicating pregnancy, venous thromboembolism, connective tissue disorders complicating pregnancy, severe growth retardation, and multiple pregnancies. She has performed various complex abdominal and vaginal gynecological procedures and received training in gynecological endoscopy from Antwerp, Belgium. Throughout her time at the Mafraq Hospital, she developed a strong interest in clinical research. She was recognized by FIGO (International Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecology) for publishing her clinical research in peer-reviewed journals for two consecutive years. Mafraq Hospital served as a teaching hospital for Gulf Medical College students. Dr. Aruna was appointed Associate Professor at Gulf Medical College, Ajman, where she taught clinical skills to fifth- and final-year MBBS students. She began practicing at Burjeel Hospital in 2013. Dr. Aruna is one of the few consultants in Abu Dhabi with a wealth of experience spanning 38 years in the public and private sectors. She is particularly interested in high-risk pregnancies complicated by SLE, Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, cardiac problems, and thromboembolic disorders. diabetes, both Type 1 and Type 2, exacerbated complications during pregnancy. She takes a comprehensive approach to gestational diabetes management, including home monitoring and ultrasound measurements. She provides highly personalized care throughout pregnancy, labor, and postpartum, ensuring their safety and best outcomes. Her areas of expertise include,
- Treating patients with a prior history of poor obstetric care
- Management of pregnancies with fetal growth restriction and oligohydramnios
- Management of IVF and other high-risk pregnancies following recurrent pregnancy loss
- Pregnancies with multiples, twins, and triplets
- Vaginal delivery following cesarean section
- Ovarian polycystic syndrome
- Cervical smears and colposcopy that are abnormal
- Treatment of infertility due to anovulatory fertility
- Uterine prolapse surgery
- Uterine fibroid surgery
- Vaginal bleeding that is not normal
Awards & Achievements
- Awarded University Gold Medal for the Best Performance in Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Best Paper Award for “Grand Multiparity - Is it a Risk Factor?” Presented at The Third International Conference in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Oct 1997 in Muscat
- Prize Paper Award in 2001 from the International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics and the International Federation of Gynecology & Obstetrics (FIGO) for the Publication Entitled “Pregnancy Outcome in Women with Morbid Obesity,” International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 73 (2001), 101-107
- Awarded Certificate of Academic and Clinical Excellence from General Authority for Health Services for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in Oct 2003
- Received the Prize Paper Award in 2004 from the International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics and the International Federation of Gynecology & Obstetrics (FIGO) for the publication entitled “Mode of Delivery for Breech Presentation in the Grand multiparous Women,” International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 85 (2004); 234-39.9
- Best Teacher Award from Gulf Medical College in 2005
Research & Publications
- Pregnancy Outcome in Women with Morbid Obesity. International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 73 (2001), 101-107.
- Extreme Grand Multiparity: Is it an Obstetric Risk Factor?European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology & Reproductive Biology, 4095 (2002), 1-4.
- Trauma in Pregnancy. Emirates Medical Journal, 2002: 20(2): 215-219.
- Laparoscopic Management of Ectopic Pregnancy. Journal of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists. Aug2002 Vol 9, No. 3.
- Combined Intrauterine & Bilateral Ectopic Pregnancies Managed Laparoscopically. Journal of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists, Aug 2002 Vol 9, No. 3.
- Mode of Delivery for Breech Presentation in the Grand multiparous Women. International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 85 (2004); 234- 39. 7).
- Metformin Monotherapy in Lean Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Reproductive Biomedicine Online, Vol. 10 No 1 2005 100-104.
- An Evaluation of the latest ADA Criteria for screening and diagnosing Gestational Diabetes at a Tertiary Care Hospital in UAE. International Journal Diabetes & Metabolism (2006) 14:55-60.
Exceptional Care "I cannot express enough gratitude to Dr. Aruna Kumari and her exceptional team at Burjeel Hospital for the incredible care they provided during the delivery of our little princess. Dr. Aruna Kumari's knowledge, expertise, and unwavering support made the whole experience truly remarkable. The entire staff, including the nurses, played a crucial role…
Rishad Anakkarath | Patient Testimonial
Best pregnancy experience ever at burjeel hospital (Al Najda). I am thankful to have Dr.Aruna kumari as my Gynec throughout my pregnancy, such a cool and wise doctor. Though I had Gestational Diabetes mid of pregnancy, Doctor Aruna guided me well and her positive approach towards everything made me deliver normally. Best Gynecologist ever. The…