Dr. Hassan Jaafar is a Consultant Medical Oncologist with more than 25 years of professional experience. He commenced his career in Internal Medicine in 1994 and qualified in oncology/hematology in the year 2000 from the American University of Beirut Medical Centre. Later that year, Dr. Jaafar relocated to the UAE and joined Tawam Hospital, a 500+ bed, tertiary-care hospital, affiliated with the reputed Johns Hopkins University Hospital in the USA. During that time, he served as an adjunct Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine at the College of Medicine and Health – UAEU. He later relocated to Sheikh Khalifa Specialty Hospital (SKSH) operated by Seoul National University Hospital (SNUH) in Ras-Al-Khaimah. With his arrival to BMC as a Consultant Medical Oncologist, Dr. Jaafar moves up yet another notch in his career to be rated as one of the frontline oncologists and cancer research specialists in the UAE region. Major areas of clinical and research interest include breast cancer and gynecological cancers, lung cancer, colorectal cancer, sarcomas, and other solid tumors. Dr. Jaafar worked on multiple publications in esteemed journals and has a plethora of abstracts and cases presented at conferences around the world. Below is a brief sample of his publications.
Research & Publications
- Bilateral breast involvement in acute myelogenous leukemia, Mammographic and ultrasound findings. The European Radiology 2000; 10 (6):1031
- Recurrence of thrombocytopenia in previously diagnosed thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura (TTP) does not always mean TTP recurrence. Annals Saudi med. 2003 may-jul;23(3-4):228-9.
- Strongyloidiasis hyper-infection causing life-threatening gastrointestinal bleeding. World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Oct 21;12(39):6401-4.
- Metastatic Castrate Resistant Prostate Cancer: Current Strategies of Management in the Middle East. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology" Journal 2013 Nov 8.pii: s1040-8428(13)00229-1
- Impact of Oncotype DX Testing on Adjuvant Treatment Decisions in Patients with Early Breast Cancer: A Single-Center Study in the United Arab Emirates Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2014 Sep 22. Doi: 10.1111/ajco.12259.
- Enviroximes with endocrine therapy as a treatment option in ER + MBC failing at least one line of endocrine therapy: a single institute experience, Pan Arab Journal of oncology vol 7; issue 2, June 2014.
- A multicenter prospective phase II trial of neoadjuvant eirenicon, cyclophosphamide, and five‑fluorouracil (FEC100) followed by cisplatin–docetaxel with or without trastuzumab in locally advanced breast cancer. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmocol DOI 10.1007/s00280-015-2906-5
- Epidemiology of breast cancer in the United Arab Emirates – a multi-Ethnic population Emirates Oncology Journal EOJ 2 November 2015
- Patterns of epidermal growth factor receptor mutation in non-small-cell lung cancers in the Gulf region. Molecular and Clinical Oncology 3: 1371-1374, 2015
- Supportive care needs of multicultural patients with cancer in the United Arab Emirates E-cancer medical science. 2018 May 29; 12:838 Doi: 10.3332/ecancer.2018.838.eCollection 2018.
- The study of druggable targets in no squamous non-small-cell lung cancer in the Middle East and North Africa Journal of Immunotherapy and Precision Oncology 2 (1), 4-7
- Patterns of diagnostic procedures for lung cancer pathology in the Middle East and North Africa Journal of thoracic disease 11 (12), 5162
- The State of Cancer Care in the United Arab Emirates in 2020: Challenges and Recommendations, A report by the United Arab Emirates Oncology Task Force. The Gulf journal of oncology 1 (32), 71-87
- Comprehensive review into the challenges of gastrointestinal tumors in the Gulf and Levant countries RTGI Group World journal of clinical cases 8 (3), 487
- 151P Prevalence of Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase (ALK)+ Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Annals of Oncology 31, S299
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) positive non-small-cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) patients in the Gulf region: current status, challenges, and call for action Journal of Cancer Prevention & Current Research 11 (Issue 5 - 2020), (5):130‒134
- Management guidelines for stage III non-small cell lung cancer, Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 157, 103144
- Early Diagnosis of Lung Cancer in the United Arab Emirates: Challenges and Strategic Recommendations, Clin. Pract. 2021, 11, 671–678.
- Real-World Data on the Prevalence of Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase–Positive Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer in the Middle East and North Africa, JCO Global Oncol 7:1556-1563.2021 by American Society of Clinical Oncology
- ZO-FAST international study on adjuvant hormonal treatment (letrozole) in combination with Zometa.co-investigator
- A Phase III prospective, two-cohort non-randomized, multi-center, multinational, open label study to assess the safety and assisted and self -administered subcutaneous Trastuzumab as adjuvant therapy in patients with operable Her2 positive Early Breast Cancer, co-investigator
- An open-label, randomized, Phase III b trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of standard of care +/- continuous bevacizumab treatment beyond progression of disease (PD) in patients with advanced non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) after first (1st)-line treatment with Bevacizumab plus a platinum doublet-containing chemotherapy. Primary investigator in
- MO28047 a Multicenter, Open-Label, Single-Arm Study of Pertuzumab in Combination with Trastuzumab and A Taxane in First Line Treatment of Patients with Her2- Positive advanced (Metastatic or Locally Recurrent) Breast Cancer, Primary
- A Phase III randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of LEE011 or placebo in combination with tamoxifen and goserelin or a non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor (NSAI) and goserelin for the treatment of premenopausal women with hormone receptor positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer, Co-investigator
- A phase 3 randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of alpelisib in combination with fulvestrant for men and postmenopausal women with hormone receptor positive, HER2-negative advanced breast cancer which progressed on or after aromatase inhibitor treatment, Primary investigator
- PIK3CA Registry A descriptive study of PIK3CA mutations in patients with HR+/HER2- advanced breast cancer Protocol No. CBYL719C2401 Non-Interventional Studies Original protocol dated 30-Sep-2019, Primary investigator
Education & Training
- Fellowship (Hematology, Oncology)
- Arab Board in Internal Medicine
- ESMO European Society of Medical Oncology
- ASCO American Society of Medical Oncology
- Member of the Scientific and Education Committee of the Arab Collaborative Hematology and Oncology Group (ACHOG) 2012
- MENA NCCN HCC Group
- Scientific Committee for the Emirates Oncology Conference - 2012-2016
- MENA NCCN Lung Cancer Group
- GIST Working Group
- Africa Middle East Cancer Research Intergroup (AMCI)
- UAE Oncology and Radiation Therapy Association
- Lebanese Hematology Oncology Association