Prof. Dr. Iyad Hassan Head of Department & Consultant General, Endocrine & Cancer Surgeon
Years of Experience : 23
Nationality : Germany
Languages Known : Arabic ,English ,French ,GermanBook Appointment
Prof. Dr. Iyad Hassan earned his MBBS from Philipps University in Marburg, Germany, in 1998. He was certified by the German Board of Surgery in 2005 and the German Board of Visceral Surgery in 2007 (a subspecialty of general surgery that focuses on benign and malignant disorders of the internal organs). Prof. Dr. Iyad Hassan worked at the University Hospital of Marburg for ten years as a consultant in Endocrine and Surgical Oncology. In 2009, he relocated to the United Arab Emirates, where he spent five years as Chairman of General, Vascular, and Thoracic Surgery at a large governmental hospital in Abu Dhabi. He was elected a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) in 2012 and a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Glasgow in 2013. (FRCS).
He has performed over 15,000 major surgeries, of which approximately 3,000 were complicated cancer procedures. His experience in aesthetic surgery is based on the minimally invasive technique for which the German Society of Surgeons awarded him two awards: the Johannes-von-Mikulicz-Radecki-Georg-Kelling award for Laparo-endoscopic Surgery in 2005 and the Felicien-Steichen award for Endoscopic Surgery in 2006. Prof. Iyad Hassan is a nationally recognized expert in laparoscopic endocrine surgery, colorectal surgery, and pancreatic surgery. He is an expert in thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas, adrenal gland tumor surgery, and endocrine and gastrointestinal disorders. He is widely recognized nationally and internationally for his expertise in complex minimally invasive procedures such as laparoscopic adrenalectomy, thyroidectomy, parathyroidectomy, pancreatectomy, colorectal resections, achalasia, and anti-reflux surgery. Additionally, Prof. Dr. Iyad Hassan has developed several minimally invasive surgery techniques. As a result, he pioneered the use of complex transvaginal surgery for large adrenal and appendicular tumors to minimize abdominal scarring.
He has performed the most thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, and pancreatic surgeries of any single surgeon in Abu Dhabi over the last decade of his career. According to DOH statistics, he and his team perform one-third of all thyroid surgeries and more than half of all adrenal and parathyroid surgeries in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi each year. His scientific publications cover clinical research, the molecular basis of thyroid cancer, autoimmune thyroid diseases, and training in laparoscopic surgery.
Prof. Iyad Hassan is the first surgeon outside of Europe to be licensed in the prestigious “Eurocrine Program,” an endocrine surgical quality registry dedicated to improving clinical standards and decreasing complications. Top Doc Global’s Advisory Board has recognized him as a member of the expert community who provides exceptional care and advice in endocrine and cancer surgery to patients from the UAE and worldwide.
Prof. Iyad Hassan has been recognized as a pioneer in thyroid and parathyroid surgery and minimally invasive surgery by medical technology and global healthcare solutions industries, including Medtronic, Baxter, and Maxer endoscopy. He created new algorithms to optimize the intraoperative neuromonitoring of vocal cord nerves and the intraoperative localization of parathyroid glands using Indocyanine green during thyroid and parathyroid surgery. Additionally, he invented a novel laparoscopic method for repairing inguinal hernias using natural human glue (Fibrin). As a pioneer in surgical education, he frequently hosts workshops on laparoscopic and endocrine surgery for national and international surgeons to improve patient safety in this field.
In 2017, he accepted a Chairman position with a German hospital group, where he spent six months training surgeons in laparoscopic and endocrine surgery. Prof. Dr. Iyad Hassan is a member of several professional societies and committees, including the Abu Dhabi Health Research and Technology Committee, the American College of Surgeons, the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the European Society of Endoscopic Surgery, the German Society of Surgery, the German Society of Endocrine Surgery, the German Society of Minimally Invasive Surgery, the European Foundation for Digestive Surgery, and the Society of Computer-Assisted Surgery. Additionally, he serves as an editor and reviewer for several prestigious scientific journals, including the Journal of Cancer Surgery, the British Journal of Surgery, the World Journal of Surgery, and the Journal of Endocrine Oncology.
Awards & Achievements
- Dr. Iyad Hassan had been recognized and awarded for his rich hand on experience on conducting various complex surgeries. The accreditation he received include: German Society of Surgeons: the Johannes-von-Mikulicz-Radecki-Georg-Kelling for Lapro Endoscopic Surgery (2005)
- Filicien-Steichen for Endoscopic Surgery (2006)
- Awarded by Advisory Board of TOPDOC GLOBAL for providing excellent care for Endocrine and Cancer surgery patients in UAE and around the region.
- The first Surgeon outside Europe to achieve a License in the prestigious Eurocrine Program which is an Endocrine surgical quality registry that sets clinical stands.
- His specialization in the field was also honored by various global healthcare solution companies including, Medtronic, Baxter, and Maxer Endoscopy.
Research & Publications
- Dr. Iyad Hassan contributions in the field is not limited to his clinical experience. He has edited and reviewed large number of prestigious scientific journals including, Journal of Cancer Surgery, British journal of Surgery, World Journal of Surgery, Endocrine Oncology Journal, and many more. His scientific publication covers clinical studies, molecular basis of Thyroid Cancer, Autoimmune Thyroid diseases, and Laparoscopic Surgery Training.