Dr. Jayakrishnan Narayana Kurup Specialist Orthopedic Surgeon (Expert in Hand and Wrist surgery)
Years of Experience : 11
Nationality : India
Languages Known : English, Malayalam, Kannada, Urdu, TamilBook Appointment
Dr. Jayakrishnan is a fellowship trained hand and upper limb surgeon. He completed his medical graduation (MBBS) from T.D. Medical College, Alleppey, India and acquired his Master’s in Orthopedics (MS Orthopedics) from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India in 2015. He received his Diplomate of the National Board (DNB Orthopedics) in the same year. He completed his Clinical Fellowship in Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery from National University Hospital, Singapore in 2018. He is also a Fellow of the European Board of Hand Surgery (EBHS). Dr Jayakrishnan has published his works in various international peer reviewed journals. He is also a member of the editorial board of prestigious orthopedic journals and a regular speaker at international conferences in his speciality. Before moving to the UAE, he worked as an Assistant Professor in Orthopedics in a tertiary care referral center in India, till 2020. Dr. Jayakrishnan’s specialization includes upper limb surgeries focused on hand, wrist, and elbow surgeries, peripheral nerve and tendon surgeries, treatment of various pediatric orthopedic conditions of the upper and lower limb. He has extensive experience in simple and complex trauma surgeries and sports injuries.
Awards & Achievements
- Prof Venugopal Nair memorial gold medal for consultants in the best scientific paper session at the Kerala Orthopedic Association Conference held at Perinthalmanna, Kerala, India, Jan 27-29th, 2020.
- Dr P V Padmanabhabhan Gold Medal for Best poster at the Kerala Orthopaedic Association Conference held at Perinthalmanna, Kerala, India, Jan 27-29th, 2020.
- Fellowship in Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery at National University Hospital, Singapore, 2018. · Excellence in teaching award from MAHE University, India for the year 2017
- Award in recognition of academic excellence for the year 2016 by the KMC league of Academics for Staff and Students (KLASS), MAHE, India
- Best paper award at the Indian National hand surgery conference ISSHCON held at Ranchi from September 15-17th, 2016
- Best poster award at Indian National hand surgery conference ISSHCON held at Ranchi from September 15-17th, 2016. · Best poster award at Indian National hand surgery conference ISSHCON held at Pune in September 2013.
Research & Publications
- Mohanty SP, Kanhangad MP, Saifuddin S, Narayana Kurup JK. Pattern of Syringomyelia in Presumed Idiopathic and Congenital Scoliosis. Asian Spine J. 2021 Dec;15(6):791-798. doi: 10.31616/asj.2020.0216. Epub 2020 Nov 16. PMID: 33189109; PMCID: PMC8696068.
- Siddarth Kamath K, Jayakrishnan KN, Acharya A, Bhat AK. 'Vanishing carpal bones' in a patient with congenital adrenal hyperplasia - A diagnostic dilemma. J Orthop. 2020;22:493-496.
- Narayana Kurup JK, Shah HH. Congenital pseudoarthrosis of the radius in Neurofibromatosis Type 1: An entity not to be missed! J Orthop. 2020;22:427-430.
- Mohanty, S.P., Pai Kanhangad, M., Narayana Kurup, J.K. et al. Vertebral, intraspinal and other organ anomalies in congenital scoliosis. Eur Spine J. 2020; 29: 2449–2456.
- Narayana Kurup JK, Shah HH. A rare case of rubber band syndrome of wrist with distal radius and ulna fracture. J Orthop. 2020;20:60-62.
- Narayana Kurup JK, Shah HH. Hemiepiphysiodesis using 2-holed reconstruction plate for correction of angular deformity of the knee in children. J Orthop. 2020;20:54-59. 7. Bhat AK, Narayana Kurup JK, Acharya AM, Kumar B. Outcomes of radialization for radial longitudinal deficiency: 20 limbs with minimum 5-year follow-up. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2019;44(3):304-309.
- JK Narayana Kurup, VC Kamble, AM Acharya, AK Bhat. Massive Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma of the Hand in an Infant with Metastasis at Birth: Management Dilemma. Hand.2017:12 (5).
- JKN Kurup, SP Mohanty. Congenital scoliosis: an anomalous association with endosulfan. BMJ case reports 2017, bcr-2017-220803. Jayakrishnan K Narayana Kurup · Imthias V Kottamttavida · Hitesh Shah. Stress fracture in club foot. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics Surgery 2016;2(2):199-201.
- Birth brachial plexus palsy: a race against time. S Patra, JKN Kurup, AM Acharya, AK Bhat. BMJ case reports 2016, bcr2016215996.
- Jayakrishnan Kelamangalathu Narayana Kurup, Imthias Vazhayil Kottamtavida, Hitesh Hasmukhlal Shah. Kasabach-Merritt syndrome complicating femur fracture in a 16-year-old boy with Klippel Trenaunay Syndrome. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics Surgery. 2016;2(3):310-312.
- Acharya AM, Ravikiran N, Jayakrishnan KN, Bhat AK. The role of pedicled abdominal flaps in hand and forearm composite tissue injuries: Results of technical refinements for safe harvest. J Orthop. 2019;16(4):369-376.
- Jampani Ravitheja, Nallamothu Jagadeesh, Nayanatara, Jayakrishnan KNK. Fairy tale knee arthroplasty. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2019; 5(3): 551-553. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2019.v5.i3j.1588
- AK Bhat, AM Acharya, JK Narayana Kurup, A Chakraborti. Bilateral Bifid Median Nerve with Bilateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: An Atypical Presentation, a Rare Cause and a Familiar Disease. The Journal of Hand Surgery (Asian-Pacific Volume).2018:23 (02);274-277.
- Bhat AK, Kurup JKN, Acharya AM. Volar Translunate Perilunate Dislocation: Case Report and Analysis of Review of Literature. J Hand Microsurg. 2019 Oct;11(Suppl 1):S16-S21. 17. Narayana Kurup JK, Jampani R, Mohanty SP. Catastrophic cervical spinal injury in an amateur college wrestler. BMJ Case Rep Published Online First: [17 july 2017]. doi:10.1136/bcr-2017-220260.
- AK Bhat, AM Acharya, JK Narayanakurup, V Shankar. Ancient Schwannoma of Radial Nerve: A Report of Two Cases. The Journal of Hand Surgery (Asian-Pacific Volume).2017: 22 (04), 526-530. 19. JKN Kurup, R Singasani, SP Mohanty. Rare case of disseminated rhinosporidiosis with chronic osteomyelitis of the calcaneum treated by a simple technique of negative pressure wound therapy. BMJ case reports 2017, bcr-2017-221786.
- AK Bhat, AM Acharya, JK Narayanakurup, B Kumar, PS Nagpal, ... Functional and cosmetic outcome of single-digit ray amputation in hand. Musculoskeletal surgery.2017:101 (3), 275-281.
- Acharya AM, Bhat AK, Kulkarni M, Jayakrishnan KN. Adult Brachial Plexus Injuries – An Appraisal on its Primary Management. J Kar Orth Assoc. 2016; 4(1): 21-30. 22. Narayana Kurup JK, Acharya AM, Bhat AK. Glomus tumor: An anomalous cause of pain in the finger. Int J Recent Surg Med Sci.2016;2(2): 106-107.
- Recurrent primary synovial sarcoma of median nerve: a case report and literature review. AK Bhat, KN Jayakrishnan, AM Acharya. The Journal of Hand Surgery (Asian-Pacific Volume) 21 (03), 399-404.
- The hand in art: The hand mudras of the T3 terminal at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), Delhi, India. AK Bhat, JK Narayana kurup, AM Acharya. Journal of Hand Surgery (American Volume) 40 (12), 2449-2450
- Hand and Wrist Surgery
- Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Upper Limb Trauma
- Orthopedic Sports Injuries
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Complex Trauma
- Indian Orthopedic Association
- Indian Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Pediatric Orthopedic Society of India
- Karnataka Orthopedic Association
- Kerala Orthopedic Association AO Trauma